Monday, January 22, 2007

Eggs

I am very curious about eggs. Specifically, who was the first person who decided that it would be okay to eat one? What was the thought process like? How did that person get from "fragile roundish object with gross looking innards that came from a chicken" to "incredibly versatile protein rich meal possibility"?

Was it someone who found an egg on the ground and did not know where it came from? Or was it someone who knew very well where it came from and thought that it would be okay to eat despite the source?

I talked to a co-worker about this and he suggested that maybe someone saw an animal eating an egg, and got the idea from them. That seems reasonable, but it is a rather boring explanation. And no matter how it happened, somebody also had to decide, okay, maybe this thing won't kill me, maybe I should try cooking it. But did they do the hard-boiled thing first? Or did they crack it open and fry it?

The next step, of course, was the person who decided that they could mix eggs with flour and chocolate chips and make cookies. Here is a huge step forward in the development of egg cuisine.

Perhaps in the next life we will be able to look back at the history of the world and get the answers to these questions. Maybe I am the only one who cares.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

you already broke your last promise as this post is interesting and informative. The answer of course is that Adam and his wife were having a "discussion" and he was saying how he was soo sick of the same thing over and over for dinner and she said, "well then you can fix dinner yourself!" and he thought "I'm stuck now, I better fix something gross so that I don't have to cook again." and decided to pick something truly discusting. What's more discusting than a roundish thing coming from the backside of a chicken? Not wanting to die from it he boiled it and low and behold it was pretty good. That was bad because now every Tuesday it's his turn to cook. But he learned all kinds of ways to make eggs from this and they both lived happily ever after.

Eric said...

That is also an interesting theory, although I doubt that this could have happened. I find it much more likely that Adam was more than willing to cook and help out around the garden, and that the "If I do a crappy job with what she asked me to do, then she won't ask me to do it again" concept was developed later on.