Monday, April 30, 2007

Aging Gracelessly

I turned 31 last week. It would have been no big deal except for the epiphany that I had. It dawned on me rather suddenly that I am 31, married, 2 kids ages 5 and 6, job, mortgage. I am grown up (more or less).

I am no longer allowed to make life changing decisions at the drop of a hat. I can no longer decide to move to another city or get a new job just for a change of scenery (Not that I did this alot before, but it was always at least a possibility). I can no longer stay awake until the wee hours of the morning with no consequences. I no longer possess an iron stomach. I can't eat enormous volumes of food anymore without severe gastrointestinally related punishment.

I can't waste all my income on entertainment and toys anymore. I have to fix the car, fix the sprinklers, buy a kitchen appliance. I can't take a vacation or even a day off on a whim anymore. Everything has to be planned, I have a work schedule, my wife has a work schedule, the kids have school schedules.

I have to mow the lawn and plant flowers. I don't like flowers.

I don't get to spend my Saturday's playing videogames and watching or playing endless hours of football and basketball.

As I said, I can no longer stay awake until 2am without consequences, but even sadder, I can no longer even sleep in until 9 or 10am without consequences.

With this realization that I am no longer a twenty-something, do I:
1. Rage, rage against the dying of the light?
2. Just lay down and take a nap?

3 comments:

Linda G. Paulsen said...

On the other hand, you no longer have to feel guilty when you over-hear someone berate the careless, egotistical driver. You can smile knowingly when the young punks in the group spout idealisms that are merely immaturisms. You have the secure bliss of being loved by a smart, beautiful woman, and the absolute confidence and admiration of a couple of incredible kids who call you "Daddy." You are the one that can say, "...in my experience," because you have already had some. You don't tremble with fright at the approach of Finals, females or your father. You finally have control over your life, and can see results of nearly all your major decisions. You are actually in your prime--rather than looking forward to it, or regretting its passing. You understand adult subjects like income portfolios and triglycerides. In short, you are living in "happily ever after."

Eric said...

Oh sure, here I am, happily wallowing in my misery, and you come along and ruin it.

Thanks.

Shannon said...

The best thing about being grown-up as far as I can tell is eating ice-cream after the children are in bed and staying up to watch whatever scary Lord of the Rings show is on TV.