Monday, January 5, 2009

January - Does it have any redeeming features?

January second is the most depressing day of the year. I assume that most agree with me. The holidays are over, it is cold, have to go back to work, and there is absolutely nothing to look forward to in the near term.

I live my life by looking forward to things, the next party, holiday, event, vacation, whatever. This makes certain parts of the year very boring and slow moving. For instance:

January - Terrible. There is a Federal holiday and College basketball, but that does not make up for the lack of more enjoyable holidays and vacations. It does not make up for the snowy roads, or the renewed energy required at work or school.

February - Terrible. There is another Federal holiday. There is more College basketball. This month suffers from the same things as January, plus there is Valentines day to deal with. Which counts against February. (I love my wife, but I really don't need valentines day.) At least it is usually a short month.

March - Bearable - March has March Madness, which is very fun. March suffers from less snow, but it has nothing else really redeeming.

April - Good. My kid has a birthday, it is spring, there is General Conference and Easter. It is spring.

May - Good. My anniversary, spring weather.

June - Good. Danyael's birthday, vacations, etc.

July - Good. It is hot but there are two holidays, fireworks, bbqs, etc.

August - Terrible. Hot. Nothing Redeeming.

September - OK. Cooler weather, football, kids birthday.

October - OK. Same as September, including kids birthday, but you have Halloween. I don't really like Halloween, but the kids do, and it is a gateway holiday to Nov. and Dec.

November - Good. Love Thanksgiving, football, cold weather.

December - Good. Love Christmas, new year, football etc.

The bottom line is that January, February and August are wastelands. You just try to burn through them and move on.

Here we go...

4 comments:

Linda G. Paulsen said...

This is dad. I completely agree about January. It is one very long disagreeable and hard to take month. The days are short and cold. There is nothing exciting that can possibly redeem this month. In my profession, in both districts, we get paid on the last work day of December (around the 20th) but no more pay until the last day of January - 31 long days.
Now I am ok with February! Except on Leap year it has the perfect number of days - 28 - which translates into exactly 4 weeks. True that it is cold but at least the days are getting long enough to make a small difference. And toward the end of this month, one starts to see some early signs of spring. The state principal's conference (kind of like a paid vacation) is in St. George and I take Linda with me. The school district pays for the room, meals and registration and I take a district car. This is good. I am ok with February.

Linda G. Paulsen said...

I have always hated February. Though grateful for the compensating features (like the St George trip) it is a weary, dreary month. And the trip is no thanks to nature. One is so sick of winter by then, that February seems worse to me than January. I'm noble for a few weeks, I guess, and find joy in the snow and general winterness of things. But by Feb. I'm fed up. Connie E. and I used to have our special luncheons in Feb. because we agreed on this. The solution, ergo, is to create your own compensations. Perhaps we just need a party.

Shannon said...

I hate January, but I like February because I have a tea-party for the little girls for Valentines Day. The secret is like Mom said, make something fun to look forward to in Feb. Sadly, there just isn't any way to make something good happen in January. January is all about learning to endure.

Jacob S. Paulsen said...

I like january. its a month of new beginnings, goals, and resolutions