Friday, November 14, 2008

Update: Autosomal-dominant Compelling Helio-Ophthalmic Outburst syndrome

Thanks to my sister, I have a greater understanding of why the sun makes me sneeze. I am, apparently, a photic sneezer, and it is all due to some crossed wires in the brain. A trigger that should trigger my eyes, also triggers my nose. Stupid brain.

Apparently between 10% and 30% of people are photic sneezers, who like me, suffer from Autosomal-dominant Compelling Helio-Ophthalmic Outburst syndrome (ACHOO).

Also, apparently I was on the right track with my experimentation thing. According to the article, if your eyes are closed, or if you are wearing sunglasses, you don't sneeze.

See the below article for more information.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=looking-at-the-sun-can-trigger-a-sneeze

Thanks Shannon!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I just caught that the acronym is ACHOO. That is too funny.

Linda G. Paulsen said...

So what is that makes my nose drip? Distractive Respiratory Irritable Posit disorder?