Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Why does the sun make me sneeze?

Is it just me? Does this happen to anyone else? If I walk outside, and the sun is shining, most of the time, it makes me sneeze. It can happen any time of day (except after dark, obviously). I don't get it!

Are light particles traveling up my nose and tickling something?
Am I allergic to sunlight?
Is this a sign that I should just stay inside?
Why doesn't artificial light make me sneeze?
Why doesn't moonlight make me sneeze?
Or starlight?
Would it make a difference if I walked outside but had my eyes covered, or closed?
What if I was wearing an oxygen mask?
What if I was holding my breath?

Perhaps some expirimentation is in order.

Does anyone else have different, random, nonsensical sneeze triggers?

3 comments:

Linda G. Paulsen said...

'Tis genetic. I noticed this phenomenon in your father soon after we started to date. It isn't a learned response--because you ALL have done it, even as infants.
I have other annoyances. Instead of sneezing, my nose just drips: when it's cold, when I'm painting, when I'm cooking or cleaning. Note that at all these times my hands are otherwise engaged and grabbing a tissue is tricky. Life is strange.

Linda G. Paulsen said...

Eric, this is dad and I am offering a very scientific answer which I dreamed up after spending 50 to 60 years sneezing every time I come out into bright sunlight. Here goes: Our eyes are sensitive to bright light. Or it might be said that our eyes do not quickly adjust to the bright light. So the body sneezes - that is sneezing forces the eyes closed so that they have more time to adjust. Several sneezes, several seconds to further adjust to the bright light. Scientific huh!

Shannon said...

Alan does this too so it can't just be Paulsens. http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=looking-at-the-sun-can-trigger-a-sneeze